Will the CRTC Crusade Against Fox News Soon End - hopefull news in the NP this morning ?
George Dance
2004-10-01 16:38:07 UTC
After being "banished from the Canadian airwaves by Federal decree"
the speculation in the National Post this morning is that the CRTC
will stop prohibiting the unaltered broadcast of Fox News in Canada by
Canadian providers.
I'm glad to see your scare quotes around "banished". FN was never
"banished" from the airwaves, by federal decree or anything else. The
CRTC has simply not ruled on the current application; of the past
applications involving FN, the CRTC approved one and turned down one.

I'm not arguing for the legitimacy of things like the CRTC, of course;
but I don't think it's accurate to accuse them of trying to keep FN
off the airwaves in Canada; talking about 'banishing' or 'banning' or
'censoring' is sim[ly misleading in this context.
Apparently to some degree this has been driven by the public outcry -
people who have been massively in favour of lifting the ban and who
have taken the time to send letter to the CRTC.
Maybe, maybe not. OT1H, Italian-Canadians were pretty massively in
favour of allowing RAI into Canada, and Quebec-area francophones quite
heavily into listening to CHOI - and that did not stop the CRTC from
(in fact) banishing those two services from the airwaves by decree.
OTOH, the massive public backlash to those two actual instances of
censorship may have convinced the Commissioners to pay a bit more
attention to public opinion, at least for the short term.
So fight the censors
in Ottawa who would limit your choice - send them a letter saying you
don't agree with their elitist and politically motivated censorship.
Not much point in writing to the CRTC; their deadline for written
submissions regarding FN has passed. It would be a good idea to write
Heritage Minister Liza Frulla, urging her to bring in amendments to
the Broadcasting Act to remove the CRTC's power to "banish"
broadcasting services by decree.
So now as I'm leavn' I'm weary as Hell
The confusion I'm feelin' ain't no time can tell.
The words fill my head and fall to the floor
If God's on our side - he'll stop the next war.
Robert Zimmerman 1963.
Never let a politican grant you a favour;
They will only want to control you for ever.

Robert Marley.
George Dance
2004-10-01 16:42:02 UTC
Do you really believe that the Communist Radio
Truth Commission will listen to the people?
Who says they aren't?
At least 50,000 radio listeners in the Quebec City area, and an
unknown, but but probably at least as large, number of Italian- and
Arabic-speaking Canadians.
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-10-02 21:00:00 UTC
Post by George Dance
After being "banished from the Canadian airwaves by Federal decree"
the speculation in the National Post this morning is that the CRTC
will stop prohibiting the unaltered broadcast of Fox News in Canada by
Canadian providers.
I'm glad to see your scare quotes around "banished". FN was never
"banished" from the airwaves, by federal decree or anything else. The
CRTC has simply not ruled on the current application; of the past
applications involving FN, the CRTC approved one and turned down one.
The quotes are since I was quoting the article - I would not have used
"banished" since Fox News Channels has always been "banned" it was
never on air to be "banished". Remember the way the CRTC works is the
dictatorial "everything is banned unless permitted by license" - you
cannot broadcast without first getting a permit (or taking your lumps
in jail).

Some facts:

The time your thinking it was 'permitted' was actually a license only
for some of the Fox News Channel content to be used to "enhance" a
Canadian content news channel by Global - after misleadingly called
the Fox News Channel despite the fox content being regulated to a
small minority of the content. It's like saying if the cbc can show
the odd Mickey Mouse cartoon then that becomes the Disney Channel.
This service also never got off the ground.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/eng/Decisions/2000/DB2000-565.htm

As a matter of formal policy the CRTC does not want 'foreign' based
news services in Canada. From the application on their website where
is says among other things:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2004/pb2004-45.htm

"As stated in Public Notice 2000-173, the Commission intends to assess
the current requests against the background of its general policy
which, among other things, generally precludes the addition to the
lists of eligible satellite services of new non-Canadian satellite
services that are either partially or totally competitive with
Canadian specialty or pay television services."

On this basis previous applications to get the ban lifted got turned
down - I believe there are actually two.

I note I can watch CNN - so for some channels they made an exception.
Is Fox the only one banned - no. Is it banned - yes (ok use the
CRTC's own words "precluded" if you prefer). If in doubt then look at
the existence theorem and ask why the application to get the ban
lifted now if there is no ban ?
Post by George Dance
I'm not arguing for the legitimacy of things like the CRTC, of course;
but I don't think it's accurate to accuse them of trying to keep FN
off the airwaves in Canada; talking about 'banishing' or 'banning' or
'censoring' is sim[ly misleading in this context.
Can you show the license to broadcast Fox News ?
Post by George Dance
Apparently to some degree this has been driven by the public outcry -
people who have been massively in favour of lifting the ban and who
have taken the time to send letter to the CRTC.
Maybe, maybe not. OT1H, Italian-Canadians were pretty massively in
favour of allowing RAI into Canada, and Quebec-area francophones quite
heavily into listening to CHOI - and that did not stop the CRTC from
(in fact) banishing those two services from the airwaves by decree.
OTOH, the massive public backlash to those two actual instances of
censorship may have convinced the Commissioners to pay a bit more
attention to public opinion, at least for the short term.
Yes massive outcry brings small gain - there needs to be lots more
massive out crying.
Post by George Dance
So fight the censors
in Ottawa who would limit your choice - send them a letter saying you
don't agree with their elitist and politically motivated censorship.
Not much point in writing to the CRTC; their deadline for written
submissions regarding FN has passed. It would be a good idea to write
Heritage Minister Liza Frulla, urging her to bring in amendments to
the Broadcasting Act to remove the CRTC's power to "banish"
broadcasting services by decree.
Do what I did - write them and tell them to get real jobs !

Robert Zimmerman 1963.
George Dance
2004-10-03 14:03:52 UTC
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
Post by George Dance
[...]
True. And as a result, it is not legal to buy or sell the right to
watch FN in Canada. That's a bottom-line fact that we can agree on;
whether or not we call it a 'ban' makes no real difference to me.

What I strongly disagree with, though, in the Post quote (and in a lot
of other discussion) is the implication that the CRTC took some action
specifically against Fox - with the explicit inference that this
proves that the CRTC is politically or ideologically biased.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
The time your thinking it was 'permitted' was actually a license only
for some of the Fox News Channel content to be used to "enhance" a
Canadian content news channel by Global - after misleadingly called
the Fox News Channel despite the fox content being regulated to a
small minority of the content. It's like saying if the cbc can show
the odd Mickey Mouse cartoon then that becomes the Disney Channel.
All right; but that type of service - a 'Canadian' news service, which
I think the CRTC calls a Class 2 service - was exactly what CanWest
applied for, with Fox's approval. They weren't conditions that the
CRTC imposed on the Fox license specifically (like the special
conditions they imposed on Al-Jazeera) - they're the general
conditions for Class 2 licensees; CanWest and Fox knew those
conditions, and applied for that type of service. All that the CRTC
did in that case was grant CanWest the license that CanWest had
requested. Period.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
This service also never got off the ground.
Probably a failure to sell advertising or whatever; not the fault of
any CRTC action against Fox.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/eng/Decisions/2000/DB2000-565.htm
As a matter of formal policy the CRTC does not want 'foreign' based
news services in Canada. From the application on their website where
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Notices/2004/pb2004-45.htm
"As stated in Public Notice 2000-173, the Commission intends to assess
the current requests against the background of its general policy
which, among other things, generally precludes the addition to the
lists of eligible satellite services of new non-Canadian satellite
services that are either partially or totally competitive with
Canadian specialty or pay television services."
On this basis previous applications to get the ban lifted got turned
down - I believe there are actually two.
I'm aware of one, which was rejected for that reason - but it wasn't
FN that was being rejected, but the fact that it was bundled (by the
applicants, not by the CRTC) into one all-or-nothing package with a
whole group of other services - and the CRTC rejected the bundle
because of some of those services, not because of FN. In this case,
as well, there is no evidence of any CRTC bias, or even of any CRTC
action specifically directed, against FN.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
I note I can watch CNN - so for some channels they made an exception.
IIRC, CNN was allowed as a class 3 service before CBC Newsworld was on
the air; so there wasn't any competitive Canadian service - but I'd
have to look it up.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
Is Fox the only one banned - no. Is it banned - yes (ok use the
CRTC's own words "precluded" if you prefer).
I don't care whether we use the word 'banned' or not; the fact is that
FN is not allowed in Canada; whatever one calls that, it doesn't
answer the factual question of whether it's because of some
government action directed against FN or not. If there's none,
there's no evidence of CRTC bias against FN.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
If in doubt then look at
the existence theorem and ask why the application to get the ban
lifted now if there is no ban ?
Ummm ... if it's an application to 'get the ban lifted', then there
has to be a 'ban' to lift.
£ÅrÐŧ§
2004-10-03 14:32:48 UTC
Let's start a thread about how Rush Limbaugh is banned by the CRTC in
Canada.
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-10-03 18:24:39 UTC
Post by George Dance
[...]
They have explicitly included Fox News Channel by name among a small
group of companies they have not permitted to be re-broadcast in
previous rulings. They have explicitly called up the protection of
Canadian sources and cultural interests as the rational for this.
They then allow CNN to be re-broadcast when it is much less popular
than Fox News - and have given highly preferential treatment to
Newsworld. This gives evidence that this is ideologically based - they
want to control content
Post by George Dance
[...]
They wanted more in the original request - this was all they got. It
was so little they decided it was not worth it.
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
This service also never got off the ground.
Probably a failure to sell advertising or whatever; not the fault of
any CRTC action against Fox.
How do you sell Fox News when it is not Fox News ?
I suggest it was the crippling of the content that made it un viable.
Maybe not - but then since Fox remains banned we don't know - yet.
Post by George Dance
[...]
Take a look at the CRTC's explicit words I posted on their policy.
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
I note I can watch CNN - so for some channels they made an exception.
IIRC, CNN was allowed as a class 3 service before CBC Newsworld was on
the air; so there wasn't any competitive Canadian service - but I'd
have to look it up.
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
Is Fox the only one banned - no. Is it banned - yes (ok use the
CRTC's own words "precluded" if you prefer).
I don't care whether we use the word 'banned' or not; the fact is that
FN is not allowed in Canada; whatever one calls that, it doesn't
answer the factual question of whether it's because of some
government action directed against FN or not. If there's none,
there's no evidence of CRTC bias against FN.
I said CRTC. Look at their policy above .....
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
If in doubt then look at
the existence theorem and ask why the application to get the ban
lifted now if there is no ban ?
Ummm ... if it's an application to 'get the ban lifted', then there
has to be a 'ban' to lift.
So you agree there must be a ban ..... ?

Robert Zimmerman 1963.
George Dance
2004-10-05 15:49:44 UTC
Post by George Dance
[...]
They got the same deal every class 2 service in Canada gets; no
different Cancon requirements from everyone.

Look, would you say that MSNBC is banned in Canada? It's an identical
situation except for one difference: MSNBC has never been approved,
while "MSNBC Canada" was approved (with the same restrictions as FN
Canada); since it turns out MSNBC Canada is not financially viable on
digital, there is a new application before the CRTC to carry the
original feed, which has not been ruled on.

The only difference is that MSNBC Canada is currently broadcasting,
while FN Canada is not - which was solely a the decision of the
licencees, not of the CRTC.

So: has the CRTC banned MSNBC?
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
This service also never got off the ground.
Probably a failure to sell advertising or whatever; not the fault of
any CRTC action against Fox.
How do you sell Fox News when it is not Fox News ?
I suggest it was the crippling of the content that made it un viable.
Maybe not - but then since Fox remains banned we don't know - yet.
In fact, no one will never know if FN Canada was commercially viable
or not, since it was never offered for sale (though not, I'll repeat,
as a result of anything the CRTC did). You're simply treating your
speculations as fact, and inferring more speculations on top of them.
Post by George Dance
[...]
Their explicit words mention a "policy [which] precludes the addition
... of new non-Canadian satellite services that are either partially
or totally competitive with Canadian specialty or pay television
services."

That's a "bias" toward Canadian ownership, sure - one that's mandated
in the Broadcasting Act. But you know very well that we're talking
about ideological bias here, and that's what I meant when I said "no
evidence of bias."
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
I note I can watch CNN - so for some channels they made an exception.
IIRC, CNN was allowed as a class 3 service before CBC Newsworld was on
the air; so there wasn't any competitive Canadian service - but I'd
have to look it up.
The point being that, if that's true (and I haven't looked it up, as
you've not disputed it) there was *no* exception made for CNN,
contrary to your allegation.
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
Is Fox the only one banned - no. Is it banned - yes (ok use the
CRTC's own words "precluded" if you prefer).
I don't care whether we use the word 'banned' or not; the fact is that
FN is not allowed in Canada; whatever one calls that, it doesn't
answer the factual question of whether it's because of some
government action directed against FN or not. If there's none,
there's no evidence of CRTC bias against FN.
I said CRTC. Look at their policy above .....
Once again, when I wrote "no evidence of CRTC bias" I meant "no
evidence of CRTC ideological bias" - I thought that was sufficiently
clear in the context, but if not, I hope it is clear now.
Post by George Dance
Post by Valentine Michael Smith
If in doubt then look at
the existence theorem and ask why the application to get the ban
lifted now if there is no ban ?
Ummm ... if it's an application to 'get the ban lifted', then there
has to be a 'ban' to lift.
So you agree there must be a ban ..... ?
I would have to 'agree there must be a ban' in order to answer your
original question at all - all you've done here is try the logical
fallacy of compound question (or the "Have you stopped beating your
wife?" fallacy) to trick me into agreeing that there was a ban.
Purely semantic trickery, to win a purely semantic point; as I've
already said I don't care whether you call the mere fact of
non-approval a 'ban' or not.

What I do care about, though, is whether there is a political or
ideological bias at the CRTC. Whether it is is an objective fact,
which doesn't depend on my ideological preferences (which you know
very well; I don't agree that gov'ts should be regulating broadcast
content), but on the evidence. Purely semantic debates around the
meaning of the word 'ban' are not evidence. And claims like the one
from the Post that you originally quoted (and I objected to), that FN
was "banished from the Canadian airwaves by Federal decree", are
nothing but attempts to push the semantic envelope, equally based on
no evidence. In fact, there has never been any such "Federal decree".
Robert Zimmerman 1963.
Valentine Michael Smith
2004-10-13 03:20:02 UTC
Post by George Dance
So: has the CRTC banned MSNBC?
It would be illegal for them to broadcast since they have no license -
so yes they are banned by the crtc. As is Fox News.

Robert Zimmerman 1963.
David Gee
2004-11-05 17:40:18 UTC
After being "banished from the Canadian airwaves by Federal >decree"
the speculation in the National Post this morning is that the >CRTC
will stop prohibiting the unaltered broadcast of Fox News in >Canada
by Canadian providers.
<reallybigsnip>

This is just more horseshit by a different name!

The CRTC has NOT "banished RAI from the airwaves by decree."

That deliberately inflammatory language is designed to incite the
uninformed, and, like all such ploys, it stinks!

The people proposing to carry the NEW service -- RAI -- were cynically
playing the "national pride" card in an attempt to take business away
from Telatino, the existing cable channel.

The fact is that Telatino (a CORUS Entertainment company) holds an
EXCLUSIVE licence from RAI itself, to broadcast selected RAI programs in
Canada. Telatino also broadcasts selected programs produced in
Spanish-speaking countries, plus Italian- Spanish- and
English-language programs produced in Canada.

Under the recent proposal to the CRTC, RAI would be induced to breach
its long-standing exclusive contract with Telatino / CORUS, and to award
it, instead, to a rival company owned and / or supported by power
brokers in the Italian-Canadian (read "Toronto") community.

The CRTC quite rightly took note of several important consequences of
such a change:

* CORUS had taken over majority ownership of Telatino from its original
founders only in 2001, and had invested substantial sums in improved
programming and technology upgrades, as promised in its application for
change of ownership;

* an important part of this new investment was an increase of $ 1.1
million in its budget for production of Italian- and Spanish-language
programs in Canada, by independent Canadian producers;

* CORUS had installed new management systems and personnel, and Telatino
was beginning to show modest profits ;

* RAI, a foreign-owned company, would be financially rewarded for
breaching its long-standing contract with Telatino / CORUS;

* Telatino / CORUS would be faced with huge holes in its broadcast
schedule, and would lose significant advertising and subscriber revenues
overnight;

* It would set a *very* bad precedent for the CRTC to play any role at
all in inducing RAI to breach its current (and presumably long-term)
contract with Telatino / CORUS;
George Dance
2004-11-06 23:56:33 UTC
Post by David Gee
After being "banished from the Canadian airwaves by Federal >decree"
the speculation in the National Post this morning is that the >CRTC
will stop prohibiting the unaltered broadcast of Fox News in >Canada
by Canadian providers.
<reallybigsnip>
This is just more horseshit by a different name!
The CRTC has NOT "banished RAI from the airwaves by decree."
That deliberately inflammatory language is designed to incite the
uninformed, and, like all such ploys, it stinks!
So you'd like a less inflammatory term? How about 'banned'?
'Censored'? 'Made illegal'? 'Terminated with extreme prejudice'? Or
suggest your own; it won't change the fact of what was done to RAI in
any way.
Post by David Gee
The people proposing to carry the NEW service -- RAI -- were cynically
playing the "national pride" card in an attempt to take business away
from Telatino, the existing cable channel.
Indeed; if Telelatino has competition, some people might watch the
competition, meaning that Corus might lose revenue. Which begs the
question of whether the CRTC's mandate includes protecting Corus's
revenue streams.
Post by David Gee
The fact is that Telatino (a CORUS Entertainment company) holds an
EXCLUSIVE licence from RAI itself, to broadcast selected RAI programs in
Canada.
I smell a red herring here. The CRTC has a policy to deal with those
types of situations, called 'signal substitution.' You may not be
aware of it, but the Commissioners certainly were; see, eg.,
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/NEWS/RELEASES/2004/i040130.htm
Post by David Gee
Telatino also broadcasts selected programs produced in
Spanish-speaking countries, plus Italian- Spanish- and
English-language programs produced in Canada.
Under the recent proposal to the CRTC, RAI would be induced to breach
its long-standing exclusive contract with Telatino / CORUS, and to award
it, instead, to a rival company owned and / or supported by power
brokers in the Italian-Canadian (read "Toronto") community.
No breach of contract would have been entailed, as the alternative of
signal substitution was available.
Post by David Gee
The CRTC quite rightly took note of several important consequences of
* CORUS had taken over majority ownership of Telatino from its original
founders only in 2001, and had invested substantial sums in improved
programming and technology upgrades, as promised in its application for
change of ownership;
And the CRTC has an obligation to protect its clients' investments?
Post by David Gee
* an important part of this new investment was an increase of $ 1.1
million in its budget for production of Italian- and Spanish-language
programs in Canada, by independent Canadian producers;
None of which Italian-Canadians would actually watch, unless it was
the only Italian-language programming on the air? That appears to be
an unstated premise.
Post by David Gee
* CORUS had installed new management systems and personnel, and Telatino
was beginning to show modest profits ;
* RAI, a foreign-owned company, would be financially rewarded for
breaching its long-standing contract with Telatino / CORUS;
Once again, I don't see that a breach of contract would be entailed,
as Corus could have sought and been granted signal substitution.
Post by David Gee
* Telatino / CORUS would be faced with huge holes in its broadcast
schedule, and would lose significant advertising and subscriber revenues
overnight;
* It would set a *very* bad precedent for the CRTC to play any role at
all in inducing RAI to breach its current (and presumably long-term)
contract with Telatino / CORUS;
[no snip - your post ended here]

I don't see that granting a license to broadcast RAI in Canada would
by itself have breached any contracts between RAI and Corus. They
certainly could have been respected in any grant of licence, either by
RAI not carrying those programs for the duration, or by substitution
of the Telelatino signal. So I do see that whole argument as a red
herring.

I'll admit that, if Telelatino had competition, some people would
watch the competition; so its subscriber base and ad revenue would in
that case decrease. But I fail to see that protecting Telelatino's
subscriber base and ad revenue is something that the CRTC has any
mandate to do. It looks to me like that's something Corus should be
looking after - say, by using some of that $1.1 million to produce
programs that Italian-Canadian viewers would prefer to watch.