Police brutality unreported
r***@nobody.com
2005-03-10 01:09:17 UTC
Video the CBC and CTV are afraid to cover.

At Yonge and Wellesley this morning (March 9).

Cop rams pedestrian mental patient.
www.pulse24.com/In_The_Raw/Raw_Video/20050308-001/Video-5-2.asx

or

mms://a644.v10676b.c10676.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/644/10676/v0001/ondemandwm.chumtv.com/2005/mar5/mar0805-takedown220.wmv

It is certainly national level news -- I didn't know things like that
could happen in Canada.

Kind of shameful if it is true that we in Canada teach police officers
to ram cars into people as a replacement for negotiations.

The question is, "Was the use of lethal force justified?" because with a
car and a human you just never know how the human will fall and if
they'll be "accidentally" killed by such a deliberate act of violence.
If the man had fallen under the wheels, or if the parking meter had
ruptured his spleen, he could have died.

Heck, I don't even think I've seen anything like that out of the USA.

Maybe its acceptable to the public in Russia or China.

It will be interesting to see if the CBC and CTV have the courage to
present the clip, or if good relations with the Toronto Police force
them to cover it up.

(And before someone observes it was filmed by another TV networks, they
present stuff filmed by other TV networks all the time.)

The police make their living second guessing people, so they can hardly
complain about other people doing the same.

And they second guess us for much more minor transgressions than assault
with a deadly weapon, and assault causing bodily harm.

These are trained officers, people accustomed to such situations and
this was how they choose to act with all the options and manpower
available to them, with no immediate threat to human life posed by the
man.

Imagine how the police would have reacted to an untrained civilian in a
similar situation with no other options and no backup, doing what they
just did. They'd arrest the civilian for assault with a deadly weapon
and assault causing bodily harm because that is what we saw happen.

And the biggest psycho I saw was in the cop car.

Are we going to wait for the sound of jackboots on our streets?

And if this is Canadian police standard operating procedure, and happens
all the time, why the heck have the main networks never shown it?

It is our duty as voters and taxpayers to evaluate the performance of
our government officials and employees.

Why would the press cooperate in making this difficult for us to do?

Shouldn't we work to improve the techniques our employees, the police,
use on our behalf?

I realize that there are those who think that police and the judicary
shouldn't be second guessed.

However, being against second guessing is being against the foundations
and activity of the police and the judicary.

All day long these folks make snap judgements about what other people
are doing.

The police and judicary have a right to complain about their employers
(voters) second guessing them, but we voters have a right to find those
complaints comical and/or insolent.
No Spam
2005-03-10 01:38:01 UTC
Post by r***@nobody.com
Video the CBC and CTV are afraid to cover.
At Yonge and Wellesley this morning (March 9).
Cop rams pedestrian mental patient.
www.pulse24.com/In_The_Raw/Raw_Video/20050308-001/Video-5-2.asx
or
mms://a644.v10676b.c10676.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/644/10676/v0001/ondemandwm.chumtv.com/2005/mar5/mar0805-takedown220.wmv
It is certainly national level news -- I didn't know things like that
could happen in Canada.
Kind of shameful if it is true that we in Canada teach police officers to
ram cars into people as a replacement for negotiations.
No negotiation is required. He was committing a number of criminal
offenses, with a weapon, which will most likely result in a charge
of attempted murder of a peace officer, and the police were
justified in using as much force as is reasonable and/or required
under the circumstances to subdue him and/or defend themselves.
The type of force used was somewhat unusual, but perfectly
reasonable under the circumstances.

There was no use of lethal force because lethal force is a force
that will provide no other intended outcome, other than death.
I suspect if the person hadn't been a mental patient then they
would have put a few pieces of lead into his chest without too
much hesitation, and that would have been lethal force, and
he'd be dead.

I don't know where you got the bizarre idea that police are
under some compulsion to negotiate with people involved
in any criminal act.
max the cat
BigScaryBob
2005-03-10 06:06:07 UTC
Hell a kid in Winnipeg got shot and killed for waving a screwdriver at
the cops a month or so back, I'm sure he would have much rather been
rammed with the car to live another day!
I think they handled it well and you are absolutely over reacting!
Imagine if that nutter was waving the knife at you and the cops saved
your life by running him down, would you still be as upset as you are
now?
Not friggin likely!
rhinohazard
2005-03-10 07:01:44 UTC
I am so glad to hear people responding this way! My father is a cop and I
can't count the number of times that I was scared for his life after hearing
the stories of what people do to police officers - and get away with it!
Gangs target cops for no other reason than just 'cuz. People think that
because the police are public servants that they have to take all your shit
and abuse, without stopping to think that they are people too. And not just
any people, but people who are willing to risk their own safety and lives to
protect other people. Sometimes they might go too far, but for the greater
good, isn't that better than not going far enough?

Thank God there are still some sane people around. Thanks again.
Jade _
jeng
BigScaryBob
2005-03-10 17:05:51 UTC
Because when they get in close enough to use that weapon, they are in
close enough for the nutter to swing his weapon as well. One swipe
across a vital artery with the big knife, and they aren't going home
after the shift. Now if they were issued baseball bats, they may have
had a chance......
Jade _
Blader
VanNascar
Cadeau
2005-03-11 21:28:53 UTC
I'd rather be protected by proactive Police like that than the weak law
system we have in place in Canada. Anybody can get away with murder
here...Or criminals get time inside to get parole and get out just to
commit another crime, sometimes against the same victim for which they went
in in the first place for.

Way to go Canada...
VanNascar
2005-03-12 01:06:20 UTC
Kinda like the stupid kids like age 15 and 16 that stole $12.30 worth of gas
in B.C and then killed a guy that tried to stop them.... what are they going
to get 3-5 years for being stupid.. like come on.. they aren't stupid they
knew what they were doing... 25 years firm
David Gee
2005-03-12 06:11:11 UTC
Oh boy! This whining post is so full of holes you could make cheese
fondue out of it!
Post by r***@nobody.com
Video the CBC and CTV are afraid to cover.
At Yonge and Wellesley this morning (March 9).
Cop rams pedestrian mental patient.
www.pulse24.com/In_The_Raw/Raw_Video/20050308-001/Video-5-2.asx
<snip>
Post by r***@nobody.com
It is certainly national level news -- I didn't know things like that
could happen in Canada.
How odd! You didn't know that our police are trained to act quickly in
all sorts of dangerous street situations?
Where do you think all that budget goes?
Post by r***@nobody.com
Kind of shameful if it is true that we in Canada teach police officers
to ram cars into people as a replacement for negotiations.
Wrong again! We teach our police to bring dangerous situations to a
peaceful, productive end as quickly as possible, consistent with the
safety of all involved, including the supect or offender.
Post by r***@nobody.com
The question is, "Was the use of lethal force justified?" because with
a car and a human you just never know how the human will fall and if
they'll be "accidentally" killed by such a deliberate act of violence.
No, Stupid, the question is NOT about "lethal force", since no "lethal
force" was employed. If it had been, the poor sap would be dead.
That's what "lethal" means.
Post by r***@nobody.com
If the man had fallen under the wheels, or if the parking meter had
ruptured his spleen, he could have died.
And if your Aunt Tilly had balls, she'd be Uncle John.
(Except in Utah and Arkansas.)
Post by r***@nobody.com
Heck, I don't even think I've seen anything like that out of the USA.
You're right! Down there they just shoot them! For only $ 250.00 worth
of bullets, some helicopter time and a couple of spike belts, they can
restore commuter traffic with the minimum of trouble and delay before
the next commercial break. Then they get their expenses reimbursed by
the producers of "To Serve And Protect" or "Cop Life Magazine".
Post by r***@nobody.com
Maybe its acceptable to the public in Russia or China.
Of course it is! Didn't you see the lone protestor standing up to the
tank in Tienanmen Square? Who do you suppose won that fight after the
TV cameras went home? In Russia, the family of executed traitors and
political agitators even have to pay the cost of the bullet used on heir
loved ones. It's a good outcome for everybody concerned -- the streets
are reopened to traffic, the cops get to go home early (and intact) to
their families, the government doesn't blow its budget on bullets, and
the mining industry has a steady market for lead, sulphur and other
strategic minerals.
Post by r***@nobody.com
It will be interesting to see if the CBC and CTV have the courage to
present the clip, or if good relations with the Toronto Police force
them to cover it up.
No, Stupid! It's not their film!
Post by r***@nobody.com
(And before someone observes it was filmed by another TV networks,
they present stuff filmed by other TV networks all the time.)
Oops! You must be psycho .. er .. psychic. Well, having been in and
around the business for many years, I can tell you authoritatively that
you don't know what you're babbling about. TV networks NEVER share
their footage with their rivals unless they are part of a "pooling
agreement" arranged in advance. It's called competition", Stupid!
Post by r***@nobody.com
The police make their living second guessing people, so they can
hardly complain about other people doing the same.
You didn't really write that crap, did you? The police make their living
out of limiting the harm that crooks, idiots and whackos can do to other
citizens, to other cops, to other lunatics and to themselves. It's
called "public safety", Stupid!
Post by r***@nobody.com
And they second guess us for much more minor transgressions than
assault with a deadly weapon, and assault causing bodily harm.
I suggest you seek out a cop, ask him which
kindergarten his granddaughter atends, whisper the word "gun" in his
shell-like ear, and see just how much time he spends in second-guessing
you. About 0.15
seconds, Stupid!
Post by r***@nobody.com
These are trained officers, people accustomed to such situations and
this was how they choose to act with all the options and manpower
available to them, with no immediate threat to human life posed by the
man.
These trained officers are indeed accustomed to such situations, which
you are clearly not. This is a moment of great tension, from which
cops draw Street Lesson #1: crazy people are unreasonable and
unpredictable, which is why they're called "crazy", Stupid.

Knowing Street Lesson #1 by heart, these trained officers go on to apply
Street Rule #1: act swiftly to neutralize the dangerous, unpredictable
crazy person, and thereby bring the incident to a safe outcome for all
concerned. Oddly, it's the same Street Rule #1 in every police force in
the country, Stupid!
Post by r***@nobody.com
Imagine how the police would have reacted to an untrained civilian in
a similar situation with no other options and no backup, doing what
they just did. They'd arrest the civilian for assault with a deadly
weapon and assault causing bodily harm because that is what we saw
happen.
You *still* don't get it, Stupid! An "untrained civilian" was exactly
what they were faced with -- otherwise known as a crazy and
unpredictable civilian.
Post by r***@nobody.com
And the biggest psycho I saw was in the cop car.
No, what you saw in the car was the second-smartest cop on the scene,
Stupid! He was being carefully managed and led by the smartest cop on
the scene, whose good training, calm demeanour and long experience
produced the perfect result: no injuries to anyone or anything, with the
exception of your bruised sensibilities.
Post by r***@nobody.com
Are we going to wait for the sound of jackboots on our streets?
Are you going to wait until this whacko injures himself the next time
he's out, or until another of the seemingly endless supply of his fellow
crazies throws a baby stroller under the wheels of a bus, or until a
dedicated cop who has never fired his gun in 22 years on the job is
forced to shoot an unmedicated schizophrenic armed with a meat cleaver
right through the sternum, or until a 22-year-old Mountie with a
pregnant wife and only 18 days on the job nods politely to a crankhead
and doesn't see the linoleum knife until it's far, far too late ....
Post by r***@nobody.com
And if this is Canadian police standard operating procedure, and
happens all the time, why the heck have the main networks never shown
it?
Because the cops try to wrap them up ASAP, so that they can get the
crazies back into hospital without delay.
Post by r***@nobody.com
It is our duty as voters and taxpayers to evaluate the performance of
our government officials and employees.
It is our duty as voters and taxpayers to inform ourselves *before*
shooting off our mouths, Stupid!
Post by r***@nobody.com
Why would the press cooperate in making this difficult for us to do?
They don't! They compete to show us as much as we'll sit still for.
Post by r***@nobody.com
Shouldn't we work to improve the techniques our employees, the police,
use on our behalf?
We should provide those services with adequate budget, appoint some
QUALIFIED watchdogs, and then let them get on with their jobs.

NOTE: everything below this line is so totally confused that it's
impossible to figure out; it *may* have started out as a cogent argument
(although I doubt it!). The writer can't decide whether he's talking
about a split second or a second guess, so I'll just have to hope he
doesn't try to explain it for a second time.